Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sandy Beginnings

I would like to begin this blog by explaining my hopes for it and thoughts behind it. I have been praying and searching about a deeper calling that I have been feeling lately. Then as I was loading the dish washer at nap time and musing about what it could be it hit me! I have been blessed with three children given to me by God perhaps my deeper calling is to build their faith and their foundation.

I am not one who can readily quote scripture usually, but this revelation reminded me of the parable of the Two Builders that is quoted at the top of the blog. One builder built his house on rock while the other one built his house on sand. Then when the storms came the house on the rock still stood while the house on the sand was destroyed. Our faith is no different if you do not understand why you believe or do the things you do and you simply go through the motions, because that is what you have always done, when someone or something challenges your faith you will either crumble or be forced to build that foundation you never had.

So I thought "OF COURSE!" I am being called to build rocks. When they are young is the best time to build their foundations, teach them the reasons behind our faith, and answer their questions so that one day they can build their own beliefs on that rock. Since this is the calling God has given me I want to know that I did everything I could to lead them to God the best way I knew how. I want to know that the teachings and information they are given about the Catholic church and our beliefs are true and not someone's ideas about what they mistakenly think they are.

I want to start when they are young because though I was given a good foundation in my youth the house I have built since then could use some repairs, a deep cleaning, and some expansions, perhaps even my foundation needs some repairs. That being said, much of this journey will be a learning and remolding experience for me as well as the building of young foundations. I hope to form them into the granite that they will build their own faith on and that will eventually be tested by the storms of life. Here I begin with a sand box, slowly and through God's grace scooping up the grains of sand and forming them into pebbles and rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment